Hurricane Safety Tips
Be Ready When a Hurricane Strikes
Prepare Before the Hurricane
- Create an evacuation plan with your family in the event that a disaster is imminent; learn location of emergency shelters in your area.
- Secure your home: Use storm shutters or plan to board up windows.
- Check your property's exterior: secure lawn furniture, make sure shrubs are trimmed.
- Remove debris from any rain gutters or spouts.
- Make sure your vehicles have plenty of fuel.
- Secure any watercraft on the property.
- Should you not need to evacuate your home for the duration of the hurricane, plan to keep canned food, bottled water, first-aid supplies, battery-operated radios and flashlights on hand.
When the Hurricane Hits
- Listen to the TV and/or radio to track bulletins and updates; follow the directions of authorities if an evacuation is mandated.
- If asked to do so by authorities, turn off utilities including water, electricity and propane tanks.
- Stay indoors at all times, close interior doors, secure exterior doors.
- Stay away from any windows. Find a room without windows, and take shelter there. If that is not possible, go into a closet.
Woodbridge Dentist 22192, 22193, 20112